July 2012

Kay’s "Going to the Zoo" Quilt

I promised I would put up a photo of Kay’s quilt when I was able. Here it is!

Kay Hocking was one of my pattern testers for my “Going to the Zoo” quilt and this is the quilt that was the end result of her test. I just love it! The fabrics she used are terrific. I particularly love the stripe.

Thank you for sharing the photo Kay. A job well done!

Until next time,


     Joan

Going to the Zoo

A while back I shared this photo of fabric I bought on my visit to the LQS. I fell in love with the Alexander Henry 2D Zoo novelty print. I wandered around the store until I found a few other prints that I liked with it.

And now those fabrics have become this:

And the quilt has become this:
A quilt pattern! Finally. I never in my wildest dreams thought it would take so long to publish one easy quilt pattern. I decided to start with a line of easy patterns suitable for novice quilters which gives me some practice writing instructions. 
You might notice I have a new logo. I have a website almost ready to launch and this will be the logo for the site, my new blog and my pattern line. More about that later.
I want to thank Kay Hocking of Somerville, Victoria, Australia, and Sarah Martin of Pacifica, California for testing this pattern for me. They did a wonderful job and gave me great feedback. 
Unfortunately, I couldn’t upload Kay’s photo of her test quilt, but she will be blogging about it on her blog at www.shockinghocking.blogspot.com.au. Check out her blog – she does amazing work.

This is Sarah’s test quilt:
It is so much fun to see this pattern done in other colors. A million thanks to these two generous quilters for their help. The pattern has been posted on Craftsy and will be in my Etsy shop shortly. That’s my news to today.
Until next time,

    Joan

French Braids for Pru

In the Quilt Around the World II Bee, Julianne asked us to make a 14″ block for her daughter. Pru has been asking for a black and white Paris-themed quilt for her room ever since they moved into their new home, and Julianne decided to use the bee for some help with this project.

We were asked to make the block from black and white fabrics, with a touch of aqua for interest. I think this is such a sophisticated idea for a quilt and I had a lot of fun coming up with the idea. Here is what I made:

I embroidered the center block with an image of the Eiffel Tower. I got the idea for the design from a wall
decal designed for a baby nursery. I like the simplicity of it. I also embroidered a greeting for Pru at the bottom. (Sorry, the photo is a little fuzzy.)
I framed the center with a tiny black and white dot fabric and framed the sides with French braid blocks. I haven’t sewn French braids in a long time and had forgotton how fun and fast they are to sew.
Here is Julianne’s starter block (upper left), Elizabeth’s block, (upper right) and mine. I love the elegant block Elizabeth made. It is called “Cathedral.” The project is just getting started but I think they look great.
?

I hope you are putting on your sun screen and staying cool!

Until next time,
    Joan

A Fun Contest!

Amy at Made During Quiet Time is having a creative contest. You can find the full details by clicking here:
http://duringquiettime.blogspot.com/2012/06/texting-while-sewing-contest.html?showComment=1342050782415#c707868809278900668.

Basically, the challenge is to make one 12″ block using text fabric. The block can be paper-pieced, traditionally pieced, or improvisionally pieced. The name of the game is using text creatively in your block. Amy has posted a couple of examples in her blog post and, of course, there is a Flickr group for more inspiration. The block needs to be done by the end of August so that feels manageable.

So pass the word on to your friends and start looking around for some of that popular text fabric!

Hope you are keeping cool! It is rather warm here in Northern California today.

Until next time,
   Joan

Block for Elizabeth

In the Quilt Around the World Bee, Elizabeth asked us to make her a 15″ block using half-square triangle blocks. I don’t know what it was about making a 15″ block that threw me, but it did. I made this block three times before it came out the right size. It is basically six rows of 2 1/2″ blocks. Not hard, right?

Anyway, enough complaining. This is the finished block:

It was fun arranging the triangles until I got a layout I liked. Then I sewed the individual blocks together. I learned that there are a tremendous number of different patterns you can make using this simple block.
Here is my block with Elizabeth’s starter block:

She made her block from Joel Dewberry’s Heritage fabric in the Citrine colorway. It is beautiful fabric. One of the many benefits of participating in a bee like this is getting to see a wide variety of fabrics that I would never see in the local quilt shop. The block is in the mail and on its way to Oregon for its next stop.

I hope you and your families are well and enjoying the summer weather.

Until next time,

    Joan